Odd Book Titles

Choosing a book's title is always a tricky job. Sometimes it comes to me in a flash, and at other times it will take me ages to come up with something appropriate and catchy. Choosing a non fiction book title is easier because it usually reflects the contents of the book, (though not always- some business books have really zany titles.) But there are none quite so wacky as those featured in a competition being run by the Bookseller Magazine for the book with the 'Oddest of Odd titles' (and presumably contents to match). If you have a moment you might want to click through to the titles and vote on line. If nothing else the titles are guaranteed to make you smile and some will have you laughing right out loud. Here is just a small selection of what's in store for you:

1978: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice

1979: The Madam as Entrepreneur: Career Management in House Prostitution

1989: How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

2005: People Who Don’t Know They’re Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It

1992: How to Avoid Huge Ships

2007: If You Want Closure In Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs

I kid you not. So if you feel like laughing and voting click here. Once you've voted you'll see which titles are the most popular. As my novels are set where I live on the South Coast of England, near one of the busiest stretches of water in the UK - the Solent- perhaps I should vote for: How to Avoid Huge Ships... Might come in handy. But then again I might change my mind.

Comments

Hi Pauline, We just became friends on facebook. I'm Ben Campbell. Thought I'd check out your blog. I agree about the huge effort choosing a fiction book title. I'm crazed with creating a title for my new manuscript. I'll check out the funny book titles you referred to.

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.