Literacy linked to access to books so how about supporting libraries not closing them?

Research by the National Literacy Trust has confirmed that young people's reading ability is linked strongly to their access to books at home as well as parental encouragement to read. The research, which involved more than 17,000 young people, showed 80% of children who read above the expected level for their age have books of their own, while only 58% who read below their expected level have books of their own.

I can't recall my parents ever reading to me and although there were a handful of books in my house, neither of my parents read books and neither then did my brothers and sister.  My love of books came from my best friend's mother who was an avid reader and very fortunately introduced me to my local library where I discovered the wonderful world of Enid Blyton and the rest, as they say, is history.

So although the research is important and is being used to back the National Literacy Trust's Tell Me a Story campaign, which aims to raise awareness of the need for families to support children's literacy, something I am fully supportive of, I think the NLT should also be stressing the huge and vital role libraries also play in a child's life.  If a child can't have access to books in the home then at least they can via their school library and local library.  If the Government were really committed to improving literacy and enhancing the lives of the future workforce then they should be supporting libraries not closing them and cutting budgets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.