Thinking time for novels

Writing isn't just about bashing a novel out on a keyboard but much of the time is spent thinking through the plots and characters, and yesterday I did plenty of that on a twelve mile walk on the Isle of Wight.

It was a glorious day, with a fresh northerly breeze, which was perfect walking weather.  The sea was sparkling blue under a clear sky and the rolling countryside rich with the beauty of the wild flowers: Poppies, Daisies, Buttercups, Foxgloves and Sea Campion, and the shrubs fragrant with Honeysuckle and Apple-Scented Roses. It was good to get away from the computer for a day, and there was plenty of time to both enjoy the countryside and sea shore and think through the next Inspector Horton marine mystery crime novel. 

And the thinking continues even now that I have physically started writing the first draft, the seventh in the series. I like to begin as soon as I can and then research as I go along. Now I am pleased that I've started and it's looking good.  Two thousand words written only another eighty thousand to go and several revisions...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.