More great settings for DI Horton marine mystery crime novels - Clipper 11/12 Round the World Yacht Race and Cowes Week

Once again the Solent, DI Andy Horton's patch in my marine mystery crime novels, was at the heart of the action last weekend when the Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race got underway. The aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious followed the yachts as they sailed to the start line in Cowes on Sunday.

I have fond memories of the Round the World Yacht Race, not because I took part in it physically (heaven forbid, I'd be useless) but because I was involved in the sponsorship of the first all female crew to take part when it was called the Whitbread Round The World Yacht Race in 1989. Maiden was skippered by Tracy Edwards, MBE, the boat won two legs and came second overall in her class. The best result for a British boat since 1977. It was a great achievement and I was very proud to be part of this historic event. We had a great party to send her off and an even better one when the boat returned to Ocean Village in Southampton!

Then of course there is Cowes Week which casts off on 6 August and sails until 13 August 2011.  I have yet to set a marine mystery crime novel around Cowes Week, but that's only a matter of time, I'm sure.  Having attended Cowes Week many times, I'm sure I can come up with a cracking good crime for Andy Horton to get to grips with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.