Crime author Pauline Rowson on choosing characters names


Pauline Rowson, author of the popular DI Andy Horton series has been hailed as "redefining the genre of police drama” by setting it against the atmospheric backdrop of the ever changing sea. Her cops are tough yet fallible.

The DI Andy Horton series of crime novels has everything: compelling crimes, complex past history, a tough work environment, romantic entanglements and political intrigue played out against the dramatic and powerfully evocative British marine landscape of Portsmouth and the Solent.

Here I talk about  choosing names for the characters in my crime novels 

Getting the right name for characters in my crime fiction novels can be a tricky business. Sometimes they come to me completely out of the blue, as I am creating a character, other times I will struggle to find the name that best suits that particular character and until I do the personality refuses to come fully alive.  The name has to fit.  If it's not right then the character isn't right. The name also needs to fit with the age and nationality although you can have exceptions.

When seeking inspiration for first names I turn to my little book of baby's names or I will look up websites of baby's names.  I also keep an ear out for any unusual or interesting names when meeting people and will jot these down. One danger is over using a name.  For some reason I seem to have a penchant for the name Eric, and when I did a search through previous novels found that I’d used it before for different characters, albeit minor ones. So no more Erics.

As to surnames, I let my finger do the choosing and tend to pick these out of an atlas or street map. Then I see if it fits with the first name and the character.  The more novels I write, (I’ve now written eleven) the more I am in danger of repeating names, (it's easy to forget what you have already used) so I’m building a database in order to double check this.

Readers also tell me that some novelists have too many characters’ surnames all beginning with the same letter and they find this very confusing.  Now I scrutinise my work to check that not everyone has a surname beginning with the letter ‘C’.  Not sure why I gravitate towards ‘C’ but I do.

And finally where did the name of my main character DI Andy Horton spring from?  I've no idea.  It just came to mind.  It was only recently however that I was contacted by his namesake in the Hampshire Police Force.   A polite e mail asked me whether he had inspired the name and/or the character.  I replied saying that if he was indeed tall, blonde, fit and handsome then maybe?  He replied saying he was tall, fit, dark and his wife thought him handsome. I was somewhat relieved to find the real Inspector Houghton had a sense of humour and spelt his name differently.


A Killing Coast ( DI Andy Horton 7) now available in paperback, as an e book and unabridged audio book

"Deserves mention in the same breath as works in the upper echelon of American procedurals (those by Ed McBain or Joseph Wambaugh) and their British counterparts, including the work of Peter Robinson and John Harvey.

"Andy Horton is an especially good series hero, a likeable fellow with plenty of street smarts and the requisite personal baggage – an abrasive supervisor and an antagonistic soon-to-be ex-wife. Procedural fans who haven’t already read Rowson should be encouraged to do so in the strongest possible terms. A definite winner in the crowded field of British procedurals.” Booklist


Buy A Killing Coast (DI Andy Horton 7)

Buy from your local bookshop

Buy Pauline Rowson's books at your local bookshop


Also available for loan in libraries in the UK, Commonwealth and the USA.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.