Pauline Rowson talks about writing routines

I'm often asked if I have a writing routine. There are writers who write the same time every day come what may; others who will write a certain number of words every day and when they've done their quota, they'll knock off.  Me? I have no real set routine but I do like to write every day, speaking engagements permitting.

Some days when the words flow or I am at a critical stage of  writing - usually at the end of the first draft of a novel - I am keen to crack on and write as much as I can. This can result in me spending up to seven hours, maybe more, sitting at my computer. 

Other days I will struggle over the plot or the creative river will trickle away to a stream. If this happens I usually pick up my knitting, do some sewing or go for a walk while my mind works away at the snag with the plot or with a character.

Writing isn't only about pounding away at a keyboard, writers also spend a great deal of time staring into space - thinking! (That's where the knitting comes in handy, I can knit and think at the same time). Writing a novel also involves research and because my crime novels are set in the area in which I live I do a lot of research on location walking DI Andy Horton's patch which is Portsmouth, the Solent and the Isle of Wight.   (Alright so I can't walk on water but I can traverse the Solent by boat).



Portsmouth Harbour - DI Andy Horton's Patch


The Town Camber, Portsmouth, featured in Deadly Waters and other DI Horton novels


A bay on the Isle of Wight featured in A Killing Coast


Old Portsmouth featured in the DI Andy Horton Marine Mysteries


Author on research at the Hilsea Lines featured in Death Surge


The view across to Langstone Harbour featured in the DI Andy Horton Marine Mysteries


Portsmouth Historic Dockyard where a body is found in DI Andy Horton Undercurrent


Haslar Marina, Gosport featured in some of  the DI Andy Horton Marine Mystery Crime Novels


 My mind is constantly working, thinking through the plots or sub plots and developing characters. Time will also be spent mapping out the plot lines and developing and researching the background of my characters, their personalities and motivations.

And when I'm not doing all the above there are copy edits to be checked and proofs to be read and ideas to be jotted down not only for the DI Andy Horton novels but for my new crime series featuring former Marine commando, Special Boat Services Officer Art Marvik, the first in the series, Silent Running is published by Severn House on 30 March 2015.

The first draft of DI Andy Horton  number 13 is also written but before that Fatal Catch (DI Horton 12) will be published in September 2015.

The latest in the DI Andy Horton series, Shroud of Evil was published in 2014 and is currently available in hardcover and as an ebook.

All the DI Andy Horton novels are available for sale on line or at bookshops and are also available for loan in UK and USA libraries.

DI Andy Horton 11. set in Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight and the Solent area


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.