How I write - Pauline Rowson talking about writing a crime novel - plot outlines

I’m always eager to begin writing a new novel so I don't wait until I have a complete outline before doing so. I don't even wait until I have conducted all my research and I certainly have no idea at the beginning who the killer is and why. 

I usually work up an outline of the first four chapters and some character profiles. I conduct some research and then start writing.

I thoroughly enjoy the buzz generated by the flow of the creative juices but often wish I could wave a magic wand and that first draft could be dumped directly from my brain without all the effort of having to key it into the computer.

I try to write the first draft as quickly as possible, with minimal editing because that slows down the process. While writing the first draft I'll also be conducting more research. 

Then follows a sense of relief once that first draft is written, usually after two or three months and I can begin to flesh it out, check the structure, the clues, red herrings, motivations and personalities of the characters. This may take several revisions and often further research until finally I check that everything hangs together, all the unanswered questions have been answered and that the words and phrases used are the correct ones.

Read more about how I write, and writing a crime novel on my websiteg.  You can also watch some videos on the writing process on my website and on my You Tube Channel.


Latest DI Andy Horton Crime Novel

Trust no one, believe nothing….

'Plenty of red herrings and a surprising culprit. Series fans will appreciate additional clues about the unsolved murder of Horton’s mother, Jennifer, more than 30 years earlier.' Publishers Weekly

Read more about DI Andy Horton, Fatal Catch

The DI Andy Horton Crime Novels


New Art Marvik marine crime novel 

Tough, fearless and fit, Marvik is not bound by the rules of the law


"A tense, terrifying thrill ride that twists and turns with dizzying speed, combined with a likable, smart, tough, but all too human hero, make this a cracking-good new series—action fans need Marvik on their radar." Booklist

Read more about Silent Running

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.