Writing routines and authors - is there a typical writing day? Pauline Rowson talks about her writing routines

I'm often asked to describe a typical writing day.  For me there isn’t one but I do like to write every day if I possibly can, speaking engagements permitting. Some days when the words flow, or I am at a critical stage of writing - usually at the end of the first draft of a novel - I am keen to crack on and write as much as I can. This can result in me spending up to seven hours, maybe more, sitting at my computer. Not good for you! But I promise you I do get up to walk around and take all the necessary breaks, although my wrists take a bit of a hammering or should that be the keyboard takes the hammering?

Other days I will struggle to find the correct words and the creative flow will trickle to a halt. If the latter happens I usually pick up my knitting, do some sewing or go for a walk while my mind works away at the snag with the plot or with a character.

But writing isn't only about pounding away at a keyboard, writers also spend a great deal of time staring into space - thinking! (That's where the knitting comes in handy, I can knit and think at the same time).

Writing a novel also involves research and because many of my crime novels are set in the area in which I live or close by I do a lot of research on location, walking DI Andy Horton's patch which is Portsmouth, the Solent and the Isle of Wight.  Alright so I can't walk on water but I can traverse the Solent by boat, often by Wightlink ferry, sometimes on the Hovercraft and if I'm really lucky with the Hampshire Marine Police.


Whatever I am doing and wherever I am my mind is nearly always constantly working - thinking through the plots or sub plots, developing characters, picking up some great inspiration for characters and story lines while travelling on public transport, and always on the look out for a good place to put a body. Writers are never off duty.


Fatal Catch- A DI Andy Horton crime novel


Trust  no one, believe nothing….

'Plenty of red herrings and a surprising culprit. Series fans will appreciate additional clues about the unsolved murder of Horton’s mother, Jennifer, more than 30 years earlier.' Publishers Weekly

Read more about DI Andy Horton, Fatal Catch



Silent Running - an Art Marvik marine crime novel

 



Tough, fearless and fit, Marvik is not bound by the rules of the law

"A tense, terrifying thrill ride that twists and turns with dizzying speed, combined with a likable, smart, tough, but all too human hero, make this a cracking-good new series—action fans need Marvik on their radar." Booklist

Read more about Silent Running


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.