An interview with crime author Pauline Rowson by Soundings - What attracted you to writing crime fiction?


This article is taken from my interview with Soundings who have just released the audio book of Inspector Andy Horton crime novel, Death Surge number ten in the DI Andy Horton crime series.


What attracted you to writing crime fiction? Have you turned your hand to other genres for long-buried manuscripts?

I loved adventure and mystery novels when I was a child and this has continued throughout my adulthood with the enjoyment of reading crime fiction. I like a puzzle to solve, a lot of action and novels that keep me hooked to the end, eager to not only find out who did it but also why they did it, so I’m also fascinated by people’s motivations and personalities.

However, when I first started writing fiction with the aim of getting published, I wrote a number of historical sagas set in the period between the two World Wars and based in Wales, (the home of my Fathers), with female protagonists. I received, as is usual, a number of rejections and these manuscripts still lurk on my computer today.

I have no idea why I started with this genre when I am an avid crime fiction reader but the time was not wasted. I like to think of it as my apprenticeship, my chance to experiment, to learn my trade and find my voice. I discovered, as I was writing these historical sagas, that a crime element kept creeping into the story, and I was drawn more to the male characters than the female ones. I’m not sure when exactly my light bulb moment came but after writing three historical sagas I switched to having a go at a crime novel with a male protagonist, writing from the male point of view. I created the rugged and flawed Inspector Andy Horton and as they say never looked back.

Where to buy Pauline Rowson's crime audio books

Order Pauline Rowson's unabridged audio books from local booksellers, with the exception of Waterstones. Alternatively you can order direct from the publisher via their website or by telephone on 01865 250333. Also available on Audible via Amazon and for loan in public libraries.


Death Surge is published in paperback, e book, on Amazon Kindle, on Kobo and as an unabridged audio book narrated by Gordon Griffin.

Buy Pauline Rowson's books USA

Buy Pauline Rowson's books UK

Buy from your local bookshop

Available from all good booksellers in paperback, as an ebook, Large Print and as unabridged audio book and for loan in libraries in the UK, Commonwealth and the USA.



LEAVE A REVIEW ON AMAZON

If you've enjoyed reading my crime novels please do tell others, we'd also love for you to leave a short review or rating on Amazon as it all helps to introduce the novels to new readers.

Where to buy

Pauline Rowson's books USA

Pauline Rowson's books UK

From your local bookshop


Also available as an ebook and on Amazon Kindle, Kobo and for loan from UK, USA, Irish and Commonwealth libraries


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.