Pauline Rowson talks about Writer's Block, does it exist and how to overcome it

According to Wikipedia writer's block is 'a condition, primarily associated with writing, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work, or experiences a creative slowdown. The condition ranges from difficulty in coming up with original ideas to being unable to produce a work for years.'

I've no doubt that many writers have suffered from this kind of creative constipation and I have been asked at my talks if I indeed have ever experienced the condition. At present, with nineteen published crime novels to my name, another to be published in 2019, the next DI Andy Horton 15 written, and the fourth in the Art Marvik mysteries penned, the answer is 'no' I am pleased to report. (Although who can say what the future might bring?)

There are however times when I'm not sure how to develop a character or plot and therefore grind to a halt. When this happens there are three techniques I employ.

One

I can choose to write through this barren spot, thumping out words on the keyboard knowing they are rubbish but that eventually I will come out the other end with an idea and something that can be licked into shape.



 Two

I go for a long walk, usually around the harbours where I live or deep into the countryside. This is not only great for thinking through plots but also helps to give me more energy not to mention toning the muscles and keeping off the pounds. And as my novels are set around the sea can at the same time stimulate plot ideas for future novels.


Location used in DI Andy Horton crime novel DEATH SURGE

Three

I pick up my knitting, which is great for stimulating the creative juices and with  knitting not only does it help when thinking through plots and characters but  I also get a very nice cardigan at the end of it!

Here I am knitting while dressed in character for the last night of my 1940 set murder mystery Play, MURDER AT THE PELICAN CLUB performed by the Winterbourne Players, Bristol in November 2018.

Crime author and playwright Pauline Rowson knitting for victory

 So there you have it my three top tips for coping with or overcoming writer's block.



DEAD PASSAGE is the latest in the DI Andy Horton series, number fourteen. It is available in paperback, as an ebook and on Amazon Kindle.

A mysterious telephone call sends Horton on a complex and twisted investigation into the death of a local politician twelve years ago and uncovers a trail of lies, secrets and revenge with roots deep in the past.

"A detective novel in the tradition of Rankin and Harvey." Mystery People Magazine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.