How did you decide which genre to write, crime novels?

Some authors might know from day one where they are heading but for me I had to travel down several roads before I reached my destination, which was writing crime novels.  I now look back and wonder what took me so long to write in a genre that has been my favourite reading matter nearly all my life.  It is blindingly obvious that I should have chosen to become a crime writer from the beginning but I started by writing historical sagas instead.  No idea why.  It took me three novels, set in Wales (land of my fathers) between the First and Second World Wars before I realised that my future lay in a life of crime, writing it, that is.  But that period of writing sagas wasn't wasted.  Although those novels have never been published and are unlikely ever to be so, I look upon the period spent writing them as an apprenticeship.  It takes time for most writers to find their 'voice' or 'style' and experimenting with different types of writing and different genres is all part of the process.


The first in the DI Andy Horton marine mystery police procedural crime series

It wasn't until I created my rugged detective, DI Andy Horton in the first of the series, Tide of Death that I knew without any doubt I was at last on the right road. I've been travelling along it now joyously and with great enthusiasm for a few years, with two stand alone thrillers published: In Cold Daylight and In For The Kill and six in the DI Andy Horton series published, the latest being Footsteps on the Shore, with the seventh due out early 2012.  I hope to continue travelling along this road for many more crime novels to come.


The sixth in the DI Andy Horton marine mystery police procedural crime series

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.