Q & A Part Two - Pauline Rowson under the spotlight

Here is the second part of the Q & A interview which first appeared on the website Merry Requiem


1.   Who was your first literary crush (author or character) and why?
I had so many when I was discovering the delights of reading, devouring crime novels by Leslie Charteris featuring Simon Templar – The Saint, and John Creasey, a prolific writer of crime novels featuring The Baron and Gideon, amongst others. He was also the author of Westerns and I went through a phase of reading them too.

2.   Which literary romance/friendship do you most wish you were a part of, and why?
Apart from DI Andy Horton, and I’m part of that relationship anyway, I have no idea, maybe I’m not that romantic.

3.   What is the first thing you remember writing, and how old were you?
I wrote my first novel at the age of eleven, an adventure story in the style of Enid Blyton, but before that I was always writing stories and plays, the latter of which I’d stage with my friends and brothers in the garage at our family home.

4.   If people like your writing, what other writers would you recommend to them?
My writing has been compared by others to that of John Harvey, Peter Robinson, Ed McBain and Joseph Wambaugh. I’d also say that the DI Horton crime novels are like those of R. D. Wingfield’s DI Frost series.

5.   What do you hate most about the writing process?
Copy-edits and proofs

6.   What do you love most about the writing process?
All of it, the research, the plotting, the crafting of the first draft and the revisions

7.   Popcorn: salty or sweet?
Never touched the stuff.

8.   Do your books share your personality?  If they’re different, what’s the difference?
I write from the male point of view so my heroes don’t share my gender (although there are strong female characters in them). 

My crime novels contain quite a lot of dialogue and have been described as a ‘punch in the ribs’ rather than bogged down with long descriptive passages.  They contain action, are fast paced with a touch of wry humour, so maybe they do reflect my personality!

9.   What do you do when you have writer’s block?
I knit. Knitting is great for stimulating the creative juices it’s something to do with hand and brain co-ordination and not only does it help when thinking through plots and characters but you also get a very nice cardigan at the end of it.

10.   What are you working on now?
The tenth novel in the DI Andy Horton series. Number nine in the series, Undercurrent is being published by Severn House in the UK in January 2013 and in the USA in May 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.