It's been an interesting year

Yes, it's that time of year again when one is inclined to look back over the happenings of the year and set targets and goals for a new year. And it's been an interesting and exciting 2007 for me and my novels. The time has flown by, I can hardly believe it is Christmas. So, before I look forward to 2008, here is a brief summary of the just a few of the key happenings for me in 2007.

January 2007

The New Year kicked off with my three marine mysteries being featured in the Paperback Preview Supplement of the The Bookseller Magazine. I was also thrilled to be chosen as the Author of the Month for Hampshire Libraries and my new thriller In For The Kill was featured in both Waterstone’s and Borders promotions in the UK.
February 2007
I embarked on a tour of book signings and library talks which resulted in meeting some lovely people, new readers and existing ones, and getting some good media coverage in various magazines and newspapers.
March 2007
A feature article appeared in Bertrams Book Time Magazine and a great article in the Hampshire Life Magazine on In For the Kill. More book signings and talks!
April 2007

The London Book Fair. It was buzzing with activity and a very good fair for me resulting in signing a two book contract with Severn House Publishers who bought World English Language Rights in Hardback, Trade Paperback, and Large Print, with the option to sell Audio Rights of my two new DI Andy Horton Marine Mysteries: Deadly Waters and The Suffocating Sea.

I had already written Deadly Waters, save for a bit of fine tuning, and Severn House scheduled this for publication in the UK in September 2007 and the USA in January 2008. The Suffocating Sea (then yet to be written) was scheduled for publication in March 2008. So I had five months in which to write it!

May 2007
Great fun, I did a unique book signing on board the Isle of Wight ferry, St Catherine, for a whole day, eight crossings over the Solent on a clear, bright calm day (thankfully). It was organised by the wonderfully efficient and ever friendly Hayling Island Bookshop. The Wightlink crew and captains were fantastic. Below I'm on the bridge with Captain Monk, and Marie Telford, owner of the Hayling Island Book Shop.

June 2007

In For The Kill was featured in two summer reading catalogues and there was another full page article on the novel in Book Time magazine. My PR lady, Dot, also managed to get me national online coverage on my two book contract with Severn House and there were many features on some very interesting and informative book and crime e zines. I was also delighted to be asked on to Legal TV for an interview about Deadly Waters and In For The Kill. You can watch the interviews on this blog and on You Tube.

July 2007
I was very proud to be asked to present the prizes to an Adult Literacy Group at out local college.

September 2007

Dot managed to get me onto Dublin Radio talking about my marine mysteries and thrillers. I did a down the line interview on the mobile phone which had a terrible echo on it.

Deadly Waters was published in hardback in the UK. It looks great.







October 2007

The Frankfurt Book Fair, where Deadly Waters was launched internationally with a great deal of interest expressed in buying translation rights to this and my other marine mysteries and thrillers: Tide of Death, In Cold Daylight, and In For The Kill .
On my return I gave a talk to the Arun U3 Club (University of Third Age) of West Sussex in Littlehampton at their Literary Lunch. A great bunch of ladies. Where were all the men? Don't they read books? They certainly do mine. In fact, I have a wide number of male readers. Perhaps they simply don't do lunch.


November 2007
I finally became a Member of the Crime Writers' Association a long held ambition fulfilled.

I also received the great news that In Cold Daylight had been selected for the World Book Day Spread the Word Prize 2008. Yippee! Now all I need are enough votes to get through to the Top Ten which will be announced at the beginning of February 2008 with the winner being announced on World Book Day 2006. You can vote for In Cold Daylight here. If I was fortunate enough to win the £5,000 prize then I will donate it to the Fire Service National Benevolent Fund. In Cold Daylight is a thriller about fire fighters so it seems only fitting the prize money should go to the fire fighter's charity.








December 2007
A book signing at our Christmas Festival and late night Christmas Shopping on Hayling Island.
I was also on the radio again and in the local and regional newspapers.

So, as you can see it's been a busy and exciting year with two crime fiction books published and lots of promotional activity. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. In between all this I have been busy writing and finishing The Suffocating Sea and am now writing the fourth DI Andy Horton Marine Mystery. More later on my targets and goals in the New Year but for now may I wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.