My Favourite Christmas Films

It's Christmas Eve, so I thought I'd share with you a selection of my favourite Christmas films, most of which I have watched over the past few days. I'll kick off though not with a film but with a BBC Christmas Special - a huge favourite of mine The Likely Lads, with the brilliant James Bolam, Rodney Bewes and the splendid, talented actress Brigit Forsythe. I always start the Christmas season watching this and no matter how many times I see it it still makes me laugh. I know almost every line by heart and being a bit of a Christmas humbug I love the line James Bolam utters, 'I can't wait for Boxing Day to arrive when some semblance of normality resumes.'


Still Christmas brings with it, as I said, some good old films - there's The Road To Utopia starring Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. OK, so it's not strictly a Christmas film but there is lots of snow in it and Santa does make a fleeting appearance. Then there's Christmas In Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck, The Holly and the Ivy with Celia Johnson, The Bishop's Wife with the wonderful David Niven and the hunky Cary Grant. And of course not forgetting Scrooge both the Alistair Sim version and the Patrick Stewart version (I like both) Then there has to be White Christmas, with Bing Crosby and that song, and Danny Kaye and that dancing!


And in case you're wondering if I'm an old grannie who only likes oldies (I love them) I've also got some modern favourites, Love Actually, The Family Man with Nicholas Cage, and tonight one of my soppy favourites, Sleepless in Seattle (a music score to die for).


Christmas night, flaked out after booze and food it will be, It's a Wonderful Life. Then Boxing Day, Where Eagles Dare and some time after (though not on the same night) Some Like it Hot. OK, so those last two are definitely not Christmassy but both have a glimpse of snow and any excuse to watch Some Like it Hot is OK with me. There are more but I've probably bored you already. So here's to Christmas films, if you've got any favourites you'd like to share do let me know.


As they say in Poland: 'Wesolych Swiat' or 'Merry Christmas'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.