Why do we write?

This was a question I saw on Facebook the other day: 'Why do we write?' I know why I write - because I love the act of creating something.  But many of us write, if not books then stories, letters, blogs, even Twitter is a form of writing and expressing oneself.  The art of writing, and therefore reading, is far from dying out.  If anything the Internet has encouraged huge numbers of people to write, and even greater numbers to read.  Of course, the manner in which we write and read and what we write and read has changed considerably over the last fifty years. But it's still a way of connecting and that's why we write.


It gives me great satisfaction to see a story take shape, the characters come alive and the tale unfold. It is tangible and unique.  And that is why I also love knitting and dressmaking. There is great delight in creating something unique, even if you are following a pattern that others have used you still fashion it in your own style, much like the crime novel.  The crime novel has been around for many years and is by no means unique, but the characters you create are, and so is the manner or style in which you relate your story. To me DI Andy Horton's world is real and I get immense satisfaction when readers ask me if he will get back with his wife, or if he will gain access to his daughter, and when is he going to find someone to love?

I've spent my life writing: my first adventure novel when I was eleven, and then a career in marketing and public relations, before writing several marketing and motivational books, as well as fiction, before my crime novels and thrillers were first published in 2006. I have used the written word to help people communicate with their customers and each other more effectively, and to entertain and intrigue.

I also love giving talks to groups of people, entertaining them with how I write and tales about my crime novels, and my life as a writer. So, perhaps there's a bit of an actress in me too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.