Authors spend a lot of time thinking as well as writing

Writing a novel is not all about bashing away on the keyboard or constructing characters and plot lines on paper, much of an author's time (well certainly mine) is spent thinking. And sometimes while writing the next in the DI Andy Horton series I get stuck. I might know how the crime was committed and why, but I might not always know who committed it.  When I need to think through ideas, characters and plots I do one of three things, I either knit, I sew or I put on my walking boots and take a long walk in the countryside or around the coast, which incidentally often gives me new locations to put a body!

Looking across to Hayling Island, the Solent and Shanklin Down, Isle of Wight beyond - all DI Andy Horton country


Yesterday being a glorious autumnal day it was perfect for walking.  That walk took me from the stately home and grounds of Stansted House (think Downton Abbey) just outside Havant in Hampshire across country to the beautiful Kingley Vale.

Looking across to Chichester Harbour and Hayling Island


I came back after a seven mile walk, recharged, refreshed and ready to write.  As a result the afternoon was highly productive, resulting in lots of writing and a new set of twists and turns ready to be served up in DI Andy Horton crime novel number twelve. 

Crime author on coffee break!


Death Surge, the tenth in the DI Andy Horton series was published in the UK and Commonwealth in September 2013 and will be published in the USA on 1 January 2014.

Buy Pauline Rowson's Books on Amazon

Buy from your local bookshop

 

 

Buy Pauline Rowson books at your local bookshop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.