How long does it take to write a crime novel? Pauline Rowson answers

It's always a scary moment when I press 'send' on the keyboard and a completed MS for a new crime novel wings its way through the ether to my editor at my publisher, Severn House, it's rather like waiting for an exam result or a report from the teacher - could I have done better?  Should I have rephrased something or added or omitted something? It's also an equally nerve wracking moment (although also joyous) when the novel is published, because then it is absolutely too late to change anything. I have just sent the twelfth DI Andy Horton to my publisher and hope I can pass on news to readers when this is to be published.

I'm often asked how long it takes me to write a crime novel.  At present I'm writing the thirteenth in the DI Andy Horton series, which I started at the beginning of August 2014. I aim to have this finished by the end of January 2015 so I can leave you to work how long it takes me to research, plan, plot and write a novel.

So what does DI Horton get up to in DI Andy Horton number twelve?


Obviously there is a new crime to solve and there is a new twist in his private investigations into the disappearance of his mother over thirty years ago.  I'm not going to say anymore than that! I wouldn't want to spoil it for readers..

Meanwhile there is Shroud of Evil ( DI Andy Horton 11) which is now available as an e book and in hardcover.


How far would you go to protect a secret?

For DI Andy Horton there is no choice, but withholding information in a murder investigation could cost him his job

When Horton of Portsmouth CID is assigned the case of a missing person: Jasper Kenton, a private investigator, the formidable Eunice Swallows, Kenton’s business partner, seems unwilling to give Horton any useful information, and Horton – irritated at being assigned such a low-ranking investigation – suspects the disappearance has a mundane explanation. Either Kenton is with a woman, or he’s stolen from a client and absconded with the money.  But when Kenton’s car turns up, and a shocking discovery is made, things turn serious. Immediately, Horton finds himself embroiled in an investigation that has major personal ramifications, and one in which he has no choice but to withhold vital information. As he struggles to crack the case, he knows it is only a question of time before someone discovers he’s kept silent, and when that’s revealed, his part in hindering a major investigation will end his career . . .

"A great read for mystery lovers with plenty to keep you guessing until the last moment." Crime Book Club


And there are plenty more in the DI Horton series as well as my two standalone crime novels to try, In Cold Daylight and In For The Kill.

Happy reading.


Buy Pauline Rowson's Books on Amazon

Buy from your local bookshop

Buy Pauline Rowson's books at your local bookshop




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.