Crime fact and fiction merge at Pauline Rowson's talk to criminology students at the University of Portsmouth

On February 17 I will be talking to second year Criminology and Forensic Studies students at the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies, University of Portsmouth. I will be talking about the fictional elements of crime, writing that is and how I research, plot and write my crime novels. I'm hoping that it will provide an interesting insight for the students and stimulate discussion on fact versus fiction. How much is crime fiction drawn from real life?  How realistically is it portrayed in crime novels? How much research do I conduct? These are the sort of questions that I am sure will be asked.

I will take students through how I map out my crime novels using mind maps and plot lines.  I've been told by a former detective of the Hong Kong police that my workings out are exactly how they used to map out the crimes they investigated, so there you have it.

Experts from the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies (ICJS) at University of Portsmouth have attended CSI Portsmouth, an annual event that I organise with Portsmouth City Council Library Service where I bring crime fact and fiction together with crime authors, crime experts and police in two lively panel debates. Members of staff from the ICJS have also helped me considerably with research.

I'm looking forward to meeting the students and lecturers and giving my talk.

The Institute of Criminal Justice Studies (ICJS) at University of Portsmouth draws together expertise across the range of criminal justice fields and has become an internationally renowned focal point for the multidisciplinary study of crime and criminal justice processes. They provide courses for undergraduate and postgraduate students from diverse backgrounds, using full-time, part-time and distance learning programmes, within an environment that is strong in both research and professional links. Read more on their website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.