What's on in November - some exciting location research and author talks

One of the nicest things about being an author is that I get to visit some unusual and exciting places and talk to some amazing people, all of which provides me with tons of inspiration for a new DI Andy Horton or an Art Marvik crime novel. 





Pauline Rowson signing a copy of one of her crime novels for Captain Paul Marshall on the bridge of the Wightlink Ferry

I've sailed on the Bridge of the Wightlink ferry, the St Clare, many times for an insight into the ways of the Solent for the DI Andy Horton novels.  As readers know Andy crosses from the mainland of Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight and back many times in his attempts to solve complex crimes.

I've visited marinas along the South Coast including Weymouth (Art Marvik, Silent Running), Haslar (DI Andy Horton Death Surge) and talked to staff  there and I've been behind the scenes at the National Museum of the Royal Navy and the Marine Institute of the University of Portsmouth (DI Andy Horton Undercurrent) to name but a few. 


Pauline Rowson with Fingerprint Bureau Supervisor, Jane Aston

 I've also visited Hampshire Police Fingerprint Bureau and sough their advice for some of the plot details for DI Andy Horton 13, Fatal Catch.

On Monday 26 October I was visiting Portsmouth International Port and the Condor Commodore Clipper, which features in the forthcoming DI Andy Horton crime novel number 13 in the series to be published later 2016.  My huge thanks to the Condor team who have been extremely helpful and allowed me to badger then with questions. (Read more and see the photographs on tomorrow's blog.)

But to get back to November... This month sees me visiting an Amazing Venue literally and a landmark or should I say seamark in the Solent, one which I am very familiar with having grown up in Portsmouth but one I have never been on board.  Thanks to the great team at Amazing Venues I will be visiting one of their two Solent Forts which have been converted into incredibly unique hotels. The third Horse Sand's Fort is to soon be opened as a museum and will provide a fascinating experience.

No Man’s Fort is three times the size of Spitbank Fort and offers 22 huge bedroom suites, its own lazer battle, sea golf, a hot house with firepit, a large rooftop firepit, a cabaret bar, shops and restaurants. While Spitbank Fort, refurbished in 2012 is regarded as one of the world’s most unique venues and is receiving rave reviews from across the globe. It offers eight luxuriously bedrooms, an open air hot pool, sauna, wine cellar and games rooms. My visit is in aid of research for DI Andy Horton 14. and I am sure I will come away with lots of inspiration for the plot lines for that novel and more. (Pictures and write up to follow) Check out Solent Forts.

Then on 6 November I will be spending the afternoon on the sea in Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent with one of my favourite police teams, the Hampshire Police Marine Unit. I'll be visiting some of the locations used in the DI Andy Horton novels and stopping over at a new location in the harbour for research for DI Andy Horton 14. (Pictures and write up to follow)

Of course both the above visits are subject to the weather!  So fingers crossed for calm days and in respect of Hampshire Marine Police they don't get called away on an operation.

Aside from my research visits and working on DI Andy Horton 14. I'm delighted to say that I will be giving a talk to members of Midhurst U3A on Tuesday 17 November .


Farnborough Library talk Saturday 28 November 2015 at 10.30am


I will also be giving a talk on my crime novels and how I plot, research and write them to an audience at Farnborough Library, Hampshire on Saturday morning 28 November.  Tickets cost £4.00 which includes tea/cofee nd are on sale now book online or by telephone on . 01252 516458.   So if you live in that area do come along. It would be lovely to see you.

For pictures and more information on the above mentioned visits and my talks, do check back on this blog or you can subscribe to my monthly newsletter for book updates, talks, videos and more.



Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.