How important are libraries for an author? Pauline Rowson reveals her take on it


This article is taken from my interview with Soundings who have released the audio book of Inspector Andy Horton crime novel, Death Surge, number ten in the DI Andy Horton crime series. Death Surge is also available in paperback and as an e book on Amazon Kindle and on Kobo


How important are libraries for an author?

I owe a huge amount to libraries and particularly the libraries of Portsmouth. Without them I might never have discovered the sheer joy of reading and ultimately have become a crime writer.

Coming from a household where money was tight I was fortunate enough to be introduced by a friend’s mother to a small library in Portsmouth where I discovered a treasure trove of books, the sheer volume and variety of which would have been impossible for my parents to buy, let alone store. I devoured everything from adventure to classics and many in between. Books opened up a whole new world for me as a child, providing me with endless hours of pleasure, an escape into another world so very different from my own and the library inspired in me a lifelong passion for reading, and for writing.

Libraries inspire and nurture new generations of readers and authors. For existing authors, such as myself they give us access to a broad audience and can introduce our work in a variety of different formats, including audio books, to people of all ages and from all backgrounds.

I have had the honour of giving many talks to readers in libraries across the UK and have met fascinating people of all ages and from all walks of life who greatly value this community service. We need public libraries and we need librarians. Without the library service it would be a very barren landscape indeed.

Join me at Fordingbridge Library in Hampshire on October 19th at 2pm


I will be revealing the secrets of successful crime writing.  I'll be talking about the inspiration behind my Inspector Andy Horton crime novels and my Art Marvik marine thrillers, how I plot, research and write them.


Tickets are available from Fordingbridge Library, Round Hill, Fordingbridge SP6 1AQ, telephone 01425 or via the online shop. Cost £5.00
   

Crime audio books


Order Pauline Rowson's unabridged audio books from local booksellers, with the exception of Waterstones. Alternatively you can order direct from the publisher via their website or by telephone on 01865 250333.Also available on Audible via Amazon and for loan in public libraries.


Death Surge is published in paperback, e book, on Amazon Kindle, on Kobo and as an unabridged audio book narrated by Gordon Griffin.


Where to buy

Pauline Rowson's books USA

Pauline Rowson's books UK

From your local bookshop


Also available as an ebook and on Amazon Kindle, Kobo and for loan from UK, USA, Irish and Commonwealth libraries


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.