My reaction to finishing the first draft of a novel!


Pauline Rowson on finishing the first draft of a new mystery crime novel


I have just finished the first draft of the Inspector Ryga mystery number 3 in the series, which I hope will be published in 2021.

Before then though there is a great deal of work to be done because finishing the first draft is just the beginning. Now the task is to lick the novel into shape and that usually takes me about eight revisions.

However, it is always with a sense of relief and pleasure when that painful but exciting first draft is on my computer (and backed up - continuously as I write).  The plot line is there, the characters created, I know who did it, why, how, when and where.

I enjoy the buzz generated by the flow of the creative juices but often wish I could wave a magic wand and that first draft would be dumped directly from my brain on to the computer without all the effort of having to key it in.

I try to write the first draft as quickly as possible, with minimal editing, because that slows down the creative process so now having got that first draft down it needs a lot of editing, and cutting out the overwriting.  The characters, their motivations and personalities also need fleshing out.  The location needs to be checked out along with the time frames and where suspects say they were at a certain time. Then, with the Ryga novels set in England 1950s, there are the historical facts to check, as well as the policing facts of the era. Finally there is the  spelling, grammar, choice of words and overuse of certain words to be weeded out.

But now  I have 87,000 words written and a story line that I am fairly happy with which I can shape and mould into what I hope will be perfection.  I can relax and enjoy the editing process.


DEATH IN THE COVE Introducing Inspector Alun Ryga of Scotland Yard

 

England 1950 still struggling to come to terms with peace in the grip of austerity and rationing.  

When the body of a man wearing a pinstriped suit is found in a secluded bay on Portland Island, Dorset Scotland Yard detective, Inspector Alun Ryga is sent to investigate. 


'Death in the Cove is a great read and one I recommend to any crime fans.' BH Living Magazine
 
DEATH IN THE COVE is the first in the Inspector Ryga mystery series published in paperback, e book, Kindle, Kobo and as an audio book.


The second Inspector Ryga mystery DEATH IN THE HARBOUR to be published 2 November 2020


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.