A fitting place for a crime

I visited Ventnor Library today, and for those of you who have no idea where Ventnor is it’s on the beautiful Isle of Wight (IOW), which is situated across the Solent from Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, where Inspector Horton of my marine mystery crime novels does his best to catch villains and make the streets a safer place for law abiding citizens.  And no, there wasn't a body in the library, at least not a dead one but lots of very lively people making use of the facilities including a group of children who were listening intently to a story being told them.



The Isle of Wight features in one of my crime thriller novels, In For The Kill and in my new Inspector Horton, Blood on the Sand, which will be published by Severn House on 26 February 2010. And just in case anyone from Southampton or Lymington is reading this blog then I had better quickly add that the IOW is also situated across the Solent from both Southampton and Lymington.

Anyway, to get back to Ventnor Library. I recently read a Twitter announcement from Ventnor Blog that the library had received a copy of my latest detective police procedural featuring Inspector Horton, Dead Man’s Wharf. I thought it was so good of them to announce this on the Twitter world (of which I am a member – you can follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/PaulineRowson) that while on the IOW for the last couple of days I thought I’d drop by and say ‘hello’. I received an extremely warm welcome from the librarian and staff and it was a pleasure to see the very interesting and unusual little library that had once been a small theatre and a gentleman’s club before becoming a library.


Ventnor Library is hoping to put together a display of the history of the library and is looking for memories and photographs, which can be displayed in the library for all to share. So if you have a story to tell do get in touch by calling them on + 44 (0)1983 852039 or e mailing them via their web site

Ventnor is a Victorian town built on a series of terraces and it looked magnificent this morning with a rising tide and an easterly wind sending the waves crashing on to the small sandy beach and booming against the base of the cliffs exploding spray like sparks from a million Catherine Wheels. The air was so pure and clear, the horizon a limitless picture of blue-grey ocean and I enjoyed a hilly walk along the coastal path westwards taking in the tiny and picturesque Steephill Cove. All in all a good morning.


I hope the people of Ventnor enjoy reading Dead Man’s Wharf as much as I enjoy visiting their town and coastal paths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.