Pauline Rowson's ten rules for writing

Great tips from P.D. James in an article on the BBC website. so similar to my own way of writing and thinking.

Setting is the powerful inspiration for me too just as is it for P. D. James. In my case the Solent area and in particular Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight, Langstone and Chichester Harbours.

Portsmouth Harbour, the setting for the DI Andy Horton police procedural crime novels

Portsmouth Dockyard, the marine police  featured in the DI Horton novels

The Solent, which Andy Horton and his colleagues travel across to the Isle of Wight to solve crimes


The Camber at Portsmouth (UK) used in many of the DI Andy Horton novels


One of the bays on the Isle of Wight, featured in DI Andy Horton crime novel A Killing Coast


P. D. James also provides valuable advice to those who want to be writers, which I have passed on many times to people, and that is we learn to write only by writing.  It doesn't matter what it is, just write and sooner or later you will find your 'voice' and you will learn your craft.   It took me many years of writing historical sagas (unpublished) before I turned to crime writing and created DI Andy Horton.  Now I have twelve crime novels published and another one due to be published next year and I'm half way through the next one.

Here are my Ten Rules for Writing published in September 2012.

Read more..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.