Here's another golden one!

The popularity of the golden age of crime novels seem to be far from dead, if the comments I have received are anything to go by. Readers still like a good mystery without necessarily all the gore and the hard-boiled stuff. So here's another of my favourites, Blood Upon The Snow by Hilda Lawrence. ( What a great title too). She was an American author whose real name was Hildegarde Kronmiller, which sounds as if she had Germanic ancestry. She published her first book in 1946. I have yet to read her others and suspect I will have trouble tracking them down. Interestingly, she describes her work as 'a novel with a little violence in it'. She says she 'keeps away from police procedure because I hate research, and I keep away from hard-boiled because I don't know the lingo. ' The result, certainly with Blood Upon The Snow, is a sinister, atmospheric tale expertly told.

I've just come across a list of John Dickson Carr novels. Xavier recommended I try them. I'm going to get my friendly local bookseller to track down some of these for me, ready for my Christmas reading.

Comments

Martin Edwards said…
'Death of a Doll' by Hilda Lawrence is very good. And it was reprinted by Penguin some time ago (I think in the 80s) so it should not be hard or costly to find.

I'm a John Dickson Carr fan, and apart from his novels, he wrote some excellent short stories. 'The House in Goblin Wood' is an absolute masterpiece.
Pauline Rowson said…
Thanks, Martin. I have just ordered from my local book shop, The Hollow Man by John Dickson Carr, oh and The Coffin Trail by a writer called Martin Edwards - ever heard of him? I've been told his books are very good!

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.