You know you're an A list crime author when your name is in bold red on the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival website

It's almost that time of the year again when crime will descend on the otherwise respectable spa town of Harrogate in North Yorkshire, England. Not a crime wave as in the criminal sense, although that could happen I guess, but an invasion of crime fiction writers and crime fiction fans. Yes, the Theakstons Old Peculiar Crime Writing Festival will be taking place from 22 July to 25 July at the Crown Hotel, Harrogate. 

And there are some A lister crime authors there: Karin Slaughter, Jeffrey Deaver, Ian Rankin. You know they're the BIG A List authors because their names are in BOLD RED on the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival website. The lesser known mortals are in ordinary black.  I'm imagining what it must be like to have your name in red, picked out as the star attraction - a pretty good feeling, I suspect. That is if you like public speaking, which I adore. I've not heard any of the big names speak, but I am sure that what they have to say will be interesting and entertaining.

I'm not going to Harrogate this year, but hope to make it next year. And unless I become an overnight best seller - which might be doubtful - I don't think you'll see my name in bold red, but who knows?

Meanwhile, we have our own little crime festival about to happen in the south coast city of Portsmouth on 6 November at Portsmouth Library. We  have five crime authors lined up including me, the head of the scene of crime unit for Hampshire Constabulary; a forensic psychologist from Portsmouth University, and many more to provide an entertaining day not only for crime fiction fans but also for those who are interested in the science and police aspect of criminal activity. More to follow later.  Let's hope the villains don't attend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.