Yesterday a long walk, today checking proofs for the new Inspector Andy Horton crime novel, Footsteps on the Shore

Yesterday the sun shone, and after the torrential rain and winds of Tuesday, and before the next low pressure sweeps in, it seemed the perfect day to take a long walk and escape from the computer for several hours, as well as recover from a busy week of talks and interviews.


The Isle of Wight was our destination. We intended catching the little Island Line train from Ryde Esplanade to Lake but the Ryde tunnel was flooded – almost knee deep in water – so we walked up to St Johns Station in Ryde and managed to catch the first train running after the suspension of services on Tuesday. Alighting at Lake we walked the beautiful coastal path to Whitecliff Bay then cut through to Bembridge before walking back to Ryde, stopping to eat a baguette by Bembridge Lagoons where amazingly a Red Admiral butterfly mistook me for a flower and landed right on the sleeve of my white jacket and basked there for some time soaking up the sun (just like me) before flying off. It was incredible. The walk was delightful and in total some twelve miles. Great physical exercise.

Today it’s back to mental exercise and checking the proofs of my new Inspector Andy Horton marine mystery police procedural, Footsteps on the Shore, which is due for publication on 27 January. I’ll be posting more details on this latest Horton and the cover image soon. Checking proofs, as I’ve mentioned here before, is not my favourite job, I’d much rather skip the process because I am so close to the novel having spent nine months with it that it’s difficult to be impartial, and because it’s also too late to change anything, but there you go. Once it’s returned to my publisher that will be the last I’ll see of it until January when I receive my author copies. Looking forward to that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.