Manuscripts that lurk in the attic might one day be discovered like the new Enid Blyton novel

I read yesterday that an unpublished novel by Enid Blyton had been discovered in an archive more than 40 years after her death.  Like many people I was enthralled by Enid Blyton's Secret Seven and Famous Five series and it was Enid Blyton who inspired me to write my first novel aged 11.  I've no idea what happened to it.  I think my mum must have thrown it out, but who knows, one day it might be discovered in an attic somewhere.  If it is, somehow I don't think it will cause quite the same stir as the discovery of an unpublished Enid Blyton!  And neither will the discovery of several unpublished novels I have lurking in my cupboard.  For many years before creating my rugged and flawed detective DI Andy Horton and my crime thriller novels, I wrote historical sagas and a suspense novel.  And in my cupboard they will continue to lurk. I have no intention of resurrecting them and rewriting and editing them.  I class them as my apprenticeship in writing until I discovered what I really wanted to write: crime novels and thrillers and that I was best suited to writing from the male point of view, and created  DI Andy Horton in the marine mystery police procedural series and Adam Greene in In Cold Daylight and Alex Albury in In For The Kill.

I'm currently writing the seventh in the DI Andy Horton series.   

And to return to Enid Blyton.  She wrote nearly 800 books which have been translated into more than 40 languages and sold more than 500m copies worldwide. Well done, Enid, and thank you for giving pleasure to so many children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.