Pauline Rowson on writing fiction

When it comes to writing fiction it is often said that you should write what you know, but I disagree.  I believe that you should write what you are enthusiastic about because it will show through in your writing, and even if you don't have first hand experience of what you are writing about then you will be keen to research it.

I find researching for my DI Horton crime novels my Art Marvik marine crime novels and my thrillers fascinating including all the forensic bits! I also believe in writing the kind of novel you like to read because not only will you enjoy the experience but again it will be apparent in your writing.

When you embark on a fiction writing career it is not always obvious what you want to write. Some people begin with short stories, others throw themselves into a novel. But just as in painting when it takes the artist time to find his or her style so too is it the same for the writer.  This often happens by trial, error and experimentation.

When I first started writing I began with writing historical sagas. Over time I found that a criminal element kept creeping into these sagas and I also discovered that I preferred to write from the male point of view. It was a while before it dawned on me that I should be writing crime novels with a male protagonist. It should have been pretty obvious because I have devoured crime and thriller novels for years and am a great crime fiction fan. But that time spent writing wasn't wasted. I learnt a lot along the way.

The key to finding what you want to write about is simple, write and experiment, but most of all enjoy it..

Undercurrent, the ninth in the DI Andy Horton Marine Mystery Crime Series is now available in paperback as well as an ebook.





Naval historian Dr Douglas Spalding is found dead in Portsmouth’s Historic Dockyard.

It looks like suicide but Horton goes out on a limb to prove otherwise. Soon he's embroiled in a cover up at the highest level.


The latest DI Andy Horton marine mystery crime novel Shroud of Evil is available in hardcover and and as an ebook.




How far would you go to protect a secret?

For DI Andy Horton there is no choice, but withholding information in a murder investigation could cost him his job


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you like Peter James, John Harvey, Ann Cleeves and Peter Robinson you'll like Pauline Rowson's crime novels

Marvik is about to face his biggest challenge in mystery thriller FATAL DEPTHS, no 4 in the series.